Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Upper GI

Romy had her upper GI study today. My GOD was it traumatizing for the poor girl. First, I had to starve her. She hadn't eaten anything since the night before and it took FOREVER for them to call us back to the x-ray room. She wasn't crying with hunger pangs, but she was getting fidgety and a little whiny so I knew she would have a melt down soon. The doctor and nurses were great and played with Romy until everything was set up.

Then, they proceeded to hold Romy down and pull her hands above her head so they could get a clear shot of her GI tract. Romy has CP, although her arms are not affected much, they are still affected. By stretching her arms further than they naturally go they were hurting her. Which in turn hurt me =( She was screaming while they were shooting barium down her throat, then they'd flip her around and do it again. She had barium coming out of her nose along with snot and tears, just staring at me, screaming her little lungs out! She was terrified and so pissed that I wasn't helping her. It lasted 10 minutes then I picked her up and she melted in my arms. 10 seconds later she was fine.

I don't have the full results, but they did say that her anatomy looks fine and everything is where it should be, but it looks like her food doesn't digest fast enough. This would explain why she doesn't really get hungry often and fills up really fast. I have heard of this before, and I believe there's medicine to treat it, but I'm not 100% sure what treatment would be if this is the case. We'll see though.

I turned 26 yesterday! Yikes, I guess this is officially the last year of my mid-twenties=)



Here's Romy with her very first doll, we named her, Eleanor Rigby.

She's becoming a fast favorite for Romy. Now she'll wiggle over to her, pick her up and plant a kiss on her face. Very Cute stuff.

Cute cousin bath time! They will hate us for this =)

Her smile is so crazy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, there is a yahoo feeding group you might want to join - lots of great info there. I think you were referring to Romy having possibly slow motility or slow gastric emptying. There are meds for that mainly reglan and erythromycin. I personally would not give my child reglan as it has many scary side effects. I don't like erytho either bec it's an antibiotic (low dosage given everyday). Anyway, I also have the same issue with my child and I'm still evaluating what meds would be a good option. I'm looking at domperidone which isnt available in the states (only avail in canada or mexico) Good Luck! Romy is getting cuter by the day.