Thursday, October 8, 2009

Romy the Magnificent

I realized that in my last post I was being a bit of a crybaby. Yes, having a former preemie/cp kid is tough. I never claimed it was easy, but Romy always finds some way to say "relax, Ma!" Today was marked by some cool new things. She now uses the word "up" when she wants to be picked up. It's pretty much the only word she uses to tell us what she wants (aside from "Dada" or "Ah-Pa" which is her word for Grandpa.) She has been trying to repeat nearly everything I say all day. She even said "Tita" which means Aunt in Tagalog. Even if she didn't say some words correctly, she said the appropriate amount of syllables and in identical cadence, which is good enough for me! At least she's trying!

She also played by herself in the living room for a solid half-an-hour (sitting unassisted I might add!) which is pretty unheard of. She usually wails the second I'm out of sight distance. I came back to see her tugging on poor Sammy boy's fur. The poor dog was just laying there taking the abuse until she yanked too hard and he pulled away whimpering.

That's not it either, while doing some stretching with her, she held the crawling position (hands and knees, not army crawling) for a solid 2 minutes without any fussing. Usually this is too painful on her spastic hamstrings to withstand, but she was a trooper and hung in there. She's also getting pretty good at standing up, assisted of course, but with her feet planted firmly, legs shoulder width apart and a straight back.

She also had her very first dentist appointment today! He said overall her teeth look great, but her teeth are a bit close together. Usually baby teeth don't even touch, but her top and bottom fronts do. He said it may mean that she'll need braces later in life. Which is fine. I remember WANTING braces when I was young.

Feeding was a tad bit better, not much but I'll take it. To give you some perspective, for dinner she had 4 ounces of Pediasure, an ounce or so of apple juice,a spoonful of peanut butter and 4 tater tots.

Although her food intake could be better, I think she got wind that I was kinda bummed, so she decided to cheer me up by hitting a few milestones. Thanks Romy, you really are the best =)




Knocked out on the way home.

Little Einstein

Banana's. To eat or not to eat?

Daddy and Me!

Romy in "The Apparatus"

4 comments:

Kris said...

I'll definitely keep her in my prayers every night. She looks so serious in the picture with Ray.

Ya Ya said...

OMG, does she sleep with her mouth open? Too funny. And love the hair!!! Any word on the MRI?
Cant wait to see you all. Miss and lov you!

Anonymous said...

Before you go the g-tube route, I would like to suggest you see a good feeding therapist first. They might be able to help you. It sounds Romy's feeding issue is behavioral. We see Dr Patel at Clinic4kidz.com but I'm not sure if she travels to Hawaii or not. She comes to your home and does intensive therapy using behavioral approach. I really think you need to try a feeding therapist first before doing the g-tube route. Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Hey justine! Checking up on you and lil Romy! Good news..Stop stressin so much! Romy sounds like just a regular two year old to me :)Doesn't eat when told, check, wants to see her mom 24/7, check, tantrums, check, cute and kissable, check. Relax on the g-tube..try the feeding therapist like the other post suggested, or just let Romy lead you..Maybe her not wanting to eat her food is her way of telling you she wants to be in charge. After all, she is a two year old :)
soly