Sunday, September 27, 2009

Little Warrior

Yesterday, we had a BBQ at the beach up at the North Shore. My parents and my paternal Grandfather included. We feasted on steaks, burgers, hot dogs and cupcakes, it was sooo yummy! A homeless man collecting cans happened to walk by and my father invited him to join us for a meal. He graciously accepted. There was small talk exchanged, he was from Minnesota and came to work in the fields of Oahu but got laid off a few months ago and he was saving money to return home.

Everyone finished up and walked off to do various activities, leaving Romy, Grandpa, myself and the man sitting at the picnic table. He asked how old Romy was and when I replied 21 months his eyes widened like most eyes do when I tell them this tiny little 17 pounder is nearly 2. I quickly explained that she was a former preemie and will most likely stay on the small side forever. My Grandpa chimed in about how we almost lost her in the beginning. The man was quiet for a moment then looked at her adoringly and said she may be small, but she's HUGE in God's eyes. Why yes, yes she is.

I can't thank God enough for choosing ME to be her Mom. In many ways she restored my faith, something that was hanging in the balance for far too long. Thanks kiddo.


3 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

I can't remember how I stumbled upon your blog, but I'm glad I did. What a sweet little girl.... =)

Ariel Padon said...

that just made me cry.

Ya Ya said...

Is that baby eating sand??? Too funny!! Love you and miss you all.