Thursday, May 21, 2009

What's in a name??



Romy Raye has a fairly unique name and a lot of people have commented on how different it is and always ask how we came up with it. This is how.

When Raymond and I found out we were expecting, we were both super excited to pick out the perfect name. It was kind of hard to find one that we both loved equally. We found out we were having a girl which made it just a little bit easier. We agreed on the middle name right away. I loved the idea of having a daughter that shared her FATHERS name, so we added a feminine "e" on the end and then tackled the task of finding a first name.

By the time I reached 23 weeks we had it boiled down to two names. Isabelle or Romy. Isabelle is a name that I've always loved and I loved the nickname "Izzy" even more. I fell in love with the name Romy when I was in middle school after watching the ridiculous movie "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion." It just sounded like such a fun and exciting name and far less common than Isabelle. Ray just happened to like it a lot too.

When I was admitted into the hospital with the high risk of delivering way early, the pressure was on to choose a name. After learning just how stubborn the baby girl in my womb was being, it was pretty much chosen for us. Romy roughly translates to "Bitter Rose." How fitting.

And that is the story of her name.

P.S- I was almost a Mallory, named after the T.V show Family Ties character, they decided to name me the actresses real name instead, better known as Justine Bateman.

1 comment:

Ariel Padon said...

I'm glad that you aren't Mallory. Justine Bateman is who my mom took my middle name from. Crazy! Remember when I met you and I told you my middle name was Justine and you said that was crazy because your middle name was Ariel. hahah and then laughed and said just kidding!!! so mean you! haha. I miss you and am completely stoked to see you!