Friday, May 27, 2011

A Big 'Ol Romy Update

Romy has had a lot of stuff going on lately, she's a very busy little girl! I haven't updated on her progress in a while so this might be a long post.

A few months ago my brother turned Romy's crib into a toddler bed. She's done great with it! She still can't get in and out on her own and has fallen out a few times but it hasn't fazed her much at all. I guess it helps that the bed is only a few inches off the ground. I'm working on teaching her how to slide out onto her knees. She's not a pro yet, but getting there.

Her g-tube progress has stagnated. I can't seem to get her over the 4.5- 5 ounce-per-feed mark. It's puke city if I push it. Hopefully as she continues to grow her ability to hold down more will grow too. Not 100% sure of her weight, if I had to guess I'd say she's around 25-26 pounds. Not as much as I was hoping for, but she's climbing. Her g-tube has came out twice so far. The first time was my fault, I accidentally drained her balloon. Luckily, I was able to get it back in myself pretty easily. The second time happened at school and she must have yanked it out herself. I wasn't sure how long it was out and she was just getting over some granulation tissue growth around the stoma so I took her to the ER instead of trying to do it myself. By the time they got around to us they had a hard time getting it in. It took a few tries by different people. She cried, it bled a little, but thankfully it went back in.


It's officially Romy's summer vacation! School ended yesterday, and I know she's going to miss it. She loved her friends and teachers so much. Her teachers were incredible and I really wish I could take them with us. Romy has seriously progressed since starting in January. Not so much physically but cognitive and speech wise, she has exploded. She talks! A lot! Most of it is a string of nonsense, but she throws in quite a few words and even some short phrases. "Here you go! Pick me up! I drop it! Read book please! I love mommy!(my fave) and All done!" are her most used. She doesn't say them perfectly, but most people would be able to figure it out. Also, this kid has some manners, she consistently says please and thank you, which is so amazing to hear! She also sings! It's so stinkin' adorable. She seems to pick up lyrics pretty quick. She can sing several parts of nearly every song on her Yo Gabba Gabba CD and pretty much every nursery rhyme known to man. She's also a pretty big fan of Lady Gaga and Jason Mraz.The entire preschool class even performed a song and dance for all of the parents. They sang "All Around Maui" and Romy actually participated! I was thinking that she would just be overwhelmed with such a big crowd and either freeze or cry, but she actually sang and did a lot of the moves. I was a VERY proud mom. I would post the video clip, but I don't feel comfortable posting all of her classmates without their parents permission so just believe me when I say it was really great.

Here are a couple of pictures of Romy taken the other day at her school. They had a little graduation ceremony for the preschoolers who were transitioning into kindergarten. Romy still has two more years of preschool before then. It was her graduation of the first year of preschool though, hence all of the cool lei's she has around her neck.


1 comment:

Niecey said...

Man she's getting so big and sooo super smart!!! Plus she's too cute cheesing with that soldier down there, lol!!!! Love ya'll!!!