Saturday, March 5, 2011

I'm officially a g-tube Mom.

Yes, it's true, yesterday I joined the small group of Moms with a g-tube fed kiddo.

The surgery went well and the surgeon even went ahead and fixed Romy's outtie bellybutton while she was at it. Romy needed a bit of oxygen after the surgery while she was coming out of anesthesia and it was a little scary for a while but it only lasted about an hour. Romy was pretty miserable for the next 12 hours or so and refused to sleep anywhere but on top of me.  Needless to say neither one of us slept very well. The next morning she took liquids by mouth and then solids later in the day and did just fine.

We were originally supposed to stay through the weekend but Romy's such a rock star and did remarkably well so they discharged us a full day early! She's not on any medication except Tylenol every now and then. I can tell she's a little uncomfortable but she's handling it well and rarely complains although she does touch her tummy and say "owwie!" every now and then. As soon as we came home I fed her a little and put her to bed. I laid her down on her back (she's a tummy sleeper-always has been) and she promptly rolled over onto her freshly bandaged g-tube and bellybutton, winced, and fell right to sleep. I'm telling you, this girls pain tolerance is insane. I actually read an article about preemies having an exceptional tolerance for pain throughout childhood- interesting stuff.

So far she's only taken medication through her tube and we will continue to feed her by mouth until Thursday when we meet with her gastroenterologist and her surgeon again. They'd like to see the site a bit healed before we start.

Well thank you to everyone who sent warm wishes and prayers her way, I really do appreciate it more than you know!


Here are a few before and after pictures:



The night before surgery, showing off her biggest smile and her non-tubed tummy.


The day after surgery.

Tita Lisa came to visit everyday!

Romy is obsessed with my laptop. I never let her mess with it but gave in since she had such a rough day previously.

2 comments:

Will and Julia's Mommy said...

So glad to hear everything was such a success! I am praying for continued success when you start feeding with the g-tube.

Yes again, this proves what a warrior Romie is!

Jamie and Jill said...

Been thinking about you all. So glad everything went well. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions at all. John got his g-tube when he was 1.