Friday, January 28, 2011

North Shore fun, G-tube Not-so-Fun

My brother is here visiting and we took Romy, my niece, and nephew up to the North Shore to see how big the waves were (they're huge in the winter) and to cruise around and soak in the sights.  The waves weren't as big as usual and that was a bit disappointing but on the plus side, the kids were able to get in the water and not get crushed by 20 foot waves.

We visited a few different beaches and cruised up to the fruit stands and bought a ton of fresh fruit to eat on the way home. Romy has a new found love for papaya! It was such a fun day! We drove home tired, tan, and sticky from the fruit- it was absolutely perfect.










On a not-so-fun note. Romy will be getting a g-tube. We meet with the surgeon in about a week and a half and it will be scheduled shortly after. Romy keeps plummeting on the growth charts and it's been recommended by every single one of her specialists, even her gastroenterologist, whom was originally against it. A few of them even think that her nutrition (or lack of) is contributing to her delays and stiff muscle tone. She will also most likely be getting fundoplication surgery as well to prevent any reflux which (the reflux) could be extremely dangerous considering Romy's swallowing disorder. Although she doesn't currently have reflux many patients who get tubed end up getting it. If they do decide to include the fundoplication surgery along with the g-tube placement, she'll be in the hospital for 3 or 4 days. It's all gut wrenching and terrifying so I would seriously appreciate your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep you guys posted.

4 comments:

Will and Julia's Mommy said...

Dear God - Please keep a heathly hand on Romy and a steady supportive hand on Justine has her sweet baby girl undergoes surgery. Please give the doctors and nurses the wisdom needed for a successful surgery which will continue to help Romy thrive as a healthy little girl.

Good Bless You, Justine!

Anonymous said...

Im a mother of an almost 4 year old ex 24 weeker too. My son had a gtube placed right before his 3rd birthday he was eating but not enough to grow and gain weight he was a tiny 22 pounds at tube placement.Today a year later he is just under 32 pounds! We are so thankful for his gtube :) Will keep your adorable daughter in my prayers goodluck and godbless

Justine, Romy's Mama said...

@Will&Julia- Thank you so much, I knew I could always count on you for a heartfelt prayer.

@Anon- that is so wonderful to hear! Romy is currently 22 pounds too! I hope we can have as great results as your little guy did. Thank you for sharing your story!

Jodi said...

I would love to talk with you about the reasons a gtube was decided. I say that because at almost 3.5 years old, Olivia is only 26 lbs. It is soooo hard to get her to eat. . .I constantly have to remind her to take every.little.bite. It is such a source of frustration for me and I don't know what to do. We have her on Pediasure to help her grow, but I haven't noticed a huge difference. I would love to know how you finally arrived at the decision. You can email me (if you happen to have time) at jodilynn@cox.net