Her cousin was so proud of her and gave her a big ol' kiss.
Here's said cousin with the biggest strawberry known to man.
Today we were invited to a physical/occupational therapy convention by the Easter Seals. We were put in a room that was lined with mats covered with toys. Romy's name was on a mat in the corner with two really sweet therapists who went gaga over Romy's glasses and curly hair. They worked on her for a bit while one of the top physical therapists in the country (her name escapes me) made her way around the room to comment and offer suggestions. She was impressed with Romy's easy going and happy nature. She invited us to 3 more FREE visits. Gotta love free therapy! She's going to demonstrate on Romy in front of other therapists with the newest and latest techniques. I'm pretty excited to learn some new stuff!
On a much different note, I wanted to comment on the dreadful "R" word. The word "retard" is a horrible and hateful word. When I was younger, (and dumber) like most kids, I would use it as an insult. For example, "Oh, you are such a retard!"or "What are you, retarded or something?" This was always said to someone of normal intellect. I'm sure you've heard it used like that before. It's everywhere, movies, magazines, TV and pretty much every other media outlet even politics. When did this become okay? It's used in such a mean spirit and worst of all, it's used as a slur to a group of people whom can't defend themselves. Ever since Romy was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, that word angers me more and more every time I hear it. Romy hasn't been labled as such but nobody knows for certain if it's in her future or not. It would kill me to hear someone making fun of her and using that word. So friends, won't you stop using this word and educate others that do?







2 comments:
Hey there: Beautiful pics!! Is that her little flip flop necklace that Papa Goat got her??? Very cool!!!
We miss and love you both. Come see us soon!! Ya Ys
Stopped by from MckMama's. I've have CP too, but it doesn't define me.
It's amazing what can happen with a little perseverance!
Keep it up--she'll be just fine.
Post a Comment